Encouraging & Mentoring Peers On Work & Education Readiness
EMPOWER is a college preparation initiative created by the Middlesex County College New Brunswick Center that focuses on Latino high school youth from New Brunswick. It is supported by student volunteers, community leaders and Middlesex County College professional staff.
- Free weekly tutoring services
- College preparatory guidance
- Free college classes for credit to those that qualify*
- MCC scholarships to those that qualify*
- Co-curricular learning workshops and trips
*Participation is totally voluntary and a student can withdraw in writing at any time. However, ONLY students who complete the program satisfactorily may apply for any EMPOWER program scholarships.
- Participants must remain in good academic standing at their high school
- Participants must complete a program application and obtain parental consent if under 18 yrs.
- Participants must abide by the behavioral requirements in the release
- Participants must actively attend scheduled tutoring/mentoring sessions, a minimum of six (6) hours per week.
- Participant planning to enroll at MCC must volunteer a minimum of 25 hours per semester in the community to meet the volunteer criteria for any established EMPOWER Scholarship. Placement assistance can be requested.
- Improve current academic performance through ongoing tutoring
- Identify career goals and the necessary steps to achieve those goals
- Develop familiarity with college resources
- Search and apply for educational scholarships; learn to write a personal essay
- Participate in professional mentoring
- Develop a resume/portfolio
Tutoring/Mentoring will take place at Middlesex County College, New Brunswick Center. EMPOWER students are responsible for transportation arrangements to and from the college.
- Generally the program runs Monday-Thursday, 4-6 from September-May. Additional days may be required for special events.
- Applications for September of the next year are due by the end of June of that year. (Space is limited to 20 students)
- Election and confirmation of students for the EMPOWER program will be made by mid-August
- The program starts in early September
Questions about general information may be directed to Evelyn Rosa, Director, MCC New Brunswick Center at 732 745-8866, ext. 119 or