Home Academics Academic Departments History & Social Science Programs of Study Education Practitioner
PDF Print E-mail

Education Practitioner
Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree

  • Contact:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , department chair
  • Phone: 732-906-2590
  • Course Outline 2012-2013 (PDF)
  • Download Our Flyer (PDF)

Graduates may pursue either of two possibilities. First, some students major in Education Practitioner in order to custom tailor a plan of study at Middlesex County College for transfer to a four-year college or university. Second, some students want to take practical and applied courses that prepare them to work immediately after this degree. Indeed, some majors actually work in the field while completing degree requirements. People already employed in educational settings often receive salary or position upgrades when they complete this degree. For the student who desires to transfer as an Education major or to go to work immediately in an education-related setting, the Education Practitioner is the right choice. Students should tell their advisor which career path in education they wish to follow, so they can be directed to the proper elective choices. (Note: Some receiving institutions prefer an A.A. degree).

Can students find employment without completing their four-year degree?
Students are eligible for a substitute-teaching license after completion of their 60th credit. Many graduates have worked as paraprofessionals in a wide variety of educational settings (both public and private) as they continue their education at a four-year institution. Whether students choose the transfer or the early employment track, this degree can help obtain CDA certification obtained through the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington, D.C. or “Group Teacher Approval” obtained through the State of New Jersey Department of Human Services - Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS). (Note: Advisor consultation is recommended. If the student selects applied courses for the approved electives rather than transfer-oriented courses, some of the applied courses may not be transferable).

What will students learn if they study Education Practitioner?
They will have a strong core of general education courses and practical experiences in teaching/learning field settings. Supervision is done by cooperating school personnel as well as by the college supervisor. Students may select to work in early childhood, special education, elementary education or high school level field placements.

Are there any requirements students must satisfy before taking courses in the major?
The student’s performance on the College’s placement test determinesplacement in developmental courses. Consultation with the departmentchairperson about math and science choices is strongly recommended. Often,in addition to the education major, the student’s desired future second major atthe transfer institution allows the advisor or chairperson to assist him or herwith selecting the appropriate math and science courses.Many schools require a police background check along with fingerprinting ofthose who work in educational settings. Middlesex students must comply withthe policies that are in effect at their field placement. Students will not be ableto graduate or to complete their Education Field Placement requirement unlessthey comply. Obtaining the appropriate background check, before the fieldwork course and as the placement site requires, is the student’s responsibility.

How long will it take to complete this degree?
Once students complete developmental coursework (if needed), the degreecan be completed in two years of full-time study. They can shorten the amountof time by taking courses in the summer and winter sessions.

Can students complete all requirements by enrolling in evening classes?
Almost all classes are offered at least one time each year during the eveningsessions. Some courses are offered in one semester but not in the next.Students studying on a part-time basis should contact the departmentchairperson or an advisor to plan when they should take their courses.