Home Academics Psychosocial Rehabilitation & Treatment
PDF Print E-mail

Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment
Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree


Contact Name: Professor Peter Basto, department chair OR Jeffrey Herron, Assistant Dean, Division of Professional Studies
Contact Phone: 908.889.2550 (Rutgers-SHRP) OR 732.906.3502 (MCC)
Contact Email:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  OR  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This is an exciting and innovative field in which service providers assist people in obtaining the skills, support and resources they will need to achieve success and satisfaction in their living, learning, working and social environments. The overall goals of this field are promotion of recovery, community integration, and improved quality of life for people coping with psychiatric disabilities. Graduates can transfer all of their credits to the Rutgers-Kean University Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Psychiatric Rehabilitation & Psychology (Joint program with Kean University, Georgian Court University or Felician College).


What will students learn if they study Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment? 
Courses focus on imparting the knowledge, practical skills and attitudes needed to provide support and services to people with psychiatric disabilities in a variety of community settings that provide social, vocational, residential and case management services.

Are there any requirements that must be satisfied before taking courses in the major? 
PSR majors need to complete 18 credits of general education and Introduction to Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR-101) before beginning the professional phase of the program (PSR-102 and beyond).  Students must takeBIO-106 prior to enrollment in the joint program and must complete the math requirement.  Students must have a "C" or better in one year of a high school laboratory science.  As a result of the student's performance on the College's placement test, he or she may need developmental coursework.  All developmental coursework must be completed before they will be considered for admission to the Program.

Can students transfer to a four-year college or university? 
The Statewide Transfer Agreement for New Jersey ensures that students who earn an A.A. or A.S. degree at a community college will have those credits fully transferable to a New Jersey public four-year institution, will have completed half of the credits required for a basic four-year degree and will have completed all of the lower division general education requirements. In addition, articulation agreements with private institutions may provide similar transfer provisions. Students should discuss the transfer process with an advisor.

How long will it take to complete this degree? 
The degree can be completed in five semesters. Part time study is also an option.

Are there any special requirements once the student is admitted to this major? 
Students must meet the academic standards of progress outlined above to stay in the program. They must meet with the program director each semester prior to registration.