Entrepreneurial Training Program for the Unemployed (ETPU)
Are you interested in owning your own business?
What is the ETPU Program?
- An intensive 60-hours training program training taught over 6 weeks for anyone who want to start his or her own business
- A training program taught by experienced professionals in their respective subject areas
- The Entrepreneurial Training Program for the Unemployed (ETPU) is a cooperative program developed and implemented by:
- Middlesex County College
- Small Business Development Center
- NJ Department of Labor
- Entrepreneurial Training Program for the Unemployed (ETPU) click here
* ORIENTATION DATES: if you are unemployed, you must attend an orientation session to be eligible to participate. Orientation is held the third (3rd) Wednesday of every month. Please bring your completed application to the orientation at Middlesex County College, 2600 Woodbridge Avenue, Edison, NJ, in the Crabiel Hall Building, room 220 (CB-220) from9:00a.m-12:00p.m. We recommend using Parking Lot 1 or Lot 1A.
What is the cost?
- If you are unemployed and collecting benefits, contact your NJ Employment Service counselor or call (609) 292-8879 for assistance
- Tuition and fees are $900, which includes a workbook and an extensive binder of handouts to assist you in creating your business plan
- Free if you are on unemployment and qualify
How do I qualify?
To qualify for the ETPU program, you must:
- Be eligible for unemployment benefits
- Be a dislocated worker and unlikely to return to your previous employment
- Have been profiled by the state as likely to exhaust unemployment benefits
- Have a viable business idea
- Be willing to work full-time in developing the business
- Have or be able to obtain the financial backing needed to start and sustain the business until it becomes self-supporting
What will I learn?
- Pre-Business Workshop – Learn the skills necessary to operate a successful small business
- Business Plan – Learn how to bring funding, marketing, financial, and legal factors together to create a winning business plan
- Marketing Plan – Learn how to define your successful markets and develop a plan to reach your target audience
- Taxes – Learn how to choose financial systems that meet federal and state tax requirements that are productive and efficient
- Recordkeeping – Learn how small business records are prepared and interpreted to help you plan business decisions
- Legal Formation – Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the various ways to legally form your business
How do I enroll?
- Meet with your career counselor at your local Employment Services office to obtain an application and attend an orientation session
- Call 732-906-4681 to enroll directly if you are not unemployed
- For further assistance on enrollment, please call your local unemployment office
For more information about the Small Business Development Center, or to schedule an appointment, please visit www.njsbdc.com, e-mail Carla Fallone at
or call 609-989-5332. For questions about the curriculum or scheduling, please call Patricia Moran at 732-906-4681 or