Home Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions
PDF Print E-mail

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by mail to the federal processing agency or apply electronically at (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov).  

What is the school Federal Code number?


What happens after I apply?

MCC receives your FAFSA results electronically and the Financial Aid Office determines aid eligibility for grants, scholarships, and loans.

Do I need to bring in identification to obtain information?

Yes, you must present  photo identification to obtain information concerning your file. No one else may obtain information about your file without written authorization from you, the student. You may obtain an authorization to release information form in the Financial Aid Office.

How do I apply for a student loan?

A student applying for a Federal student loan should access www.studentloans.gov to complete Entrance Counseling (online) and complete a Master Promissory Note. The student should also complete a Student Loan Request Form (available under FA forms) and submit to the FA office. 

What is Federal Work-Study and how do I apply?

The Federal Work-Study Program at MCC provides on campus jobs for students to earn money to help with educational expenses. In addition to completing the FAFSA, a student must complete a Federal Work-Study Application. Applications are available online (available under FA Forms).

I’m transferring to MCC, what happens to my  financial aid?

Financial Aid is not transferable. A transfer student must request FAFSA information be sent to MCC by going to the FAFSA website at www.fafsa.gov and requesting our school code number which is 002615. This information will allow the office to evaluate the student for financial assistance at MCC.

Are visiting students eligible for Financial Aid?

No, Visiting students are not eligible for Financial Aid at MCC.

I completed a FAFSA but did not list MCC. How do I add MCC to my FAFSA?

Go to fafsa.gov to access your financial aid application You will need to add the federal school code for MCC which is 002615. 

How do I inform the New Jersey Grants Office (NJHESAA) about my change in College choice?

You may call 1-800-792-8670 and give the State code for MCC which is 2441 or go online at www.hesaa.org to update your information. It will take a few weeks for HESAA to update the college change.

How many credits do I need to be considered for financial aid?

You must be enrolled as follows to be considered for financial aid.

Full Time

12 or more credits

Federal, State & Institutional Aid

Half-Time to Three-Quarter Time

6-11 credits

Federal, State & Institutional Aid

Less Than Half-time

1-5 credits

Federal Aid Only (Pell Grant)

All students will be considered for federal, state, and institutional grants, and scholarships. Federal loans are available to all eligible students regardless of income.

I have additional questions, how can I contact the Financial Aid Office?

The Financial Aid Office can be reached by telephone at (732) 906-2520 ext. 3520 or email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

How is my financial aid eligibility determined?

Federal and state aid eligibility are based on formulas that take into account: family income, family size,assets, and the number in college. Federal loans are available to all eligible students regardless of family income.

Is my financial aid limited?

Federal aid will not fund more than 30 credits of developmental courses. State aid will not fund more than four semesters of attendance at the community college level.

Are all programs at MCC eligible for financial aid?

No, Open College (OC), Non Degree (EX), Charles E Gregory (CG) and English as a Second Language (ESL) are not eligible programs.

When will financial aid be applied to my student account?

Once all required documents have been submitted to the Financial Aid Office your application will go through the review process and, if you have eligibility for any grant assistance or you have requested a student loan, you will be awarded. Once you have registered for classes, your financial aid will be applied to the account account.

How can I purchase books?

If you have money left in your student account after tuition, fees, and other charges have been paid, you may request bookstore credit to purchase books by authorizing bookstore credit on Campus Cruiser each term.

What should I do if my financial aid does not cover my bill?

Contact the Bursar for information regarding payment options. Access the Financial Aid website Types of Aid to determine if you qualify for other funding opportunities. 

If I need help completing a form, do I need an appointment?

The Financial Aid Office is open daily and appointments are not necessary.

What happens if a financial aid recipient withdraws from college?

The Financial Aid Office must recalculate the student's eligibility based upon the date of withdrawal. The student may owe a balance to the College. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you need to withdraw. You must officially withdraw from the college at the Registrar's Office.