2014–2015 Federal Direct Loan Application Procedures
All students wishing to borrow subsidized and/or unsubsidized Direct Loans must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete the following steps for subsidized and/or unsubsidized Direct Loans to be certified and received by Middlesex County College.
STEP 1: Apply for a Direct Loan
- Sign In “Manage my Direct Loan” using your US Department of Education’s Federal Pin Number.
- Complete ‘Entrance Counseling’
- All first time borrowers in the Direct Loan program must complete an Entrance Counseling session. This can be done via the Internet and takes about 20 minutes. There is a quiz at the end of each section so that you may demonstrate that you understand the information being provided. You can print a copy of the verification page for your records as proof that you completed the session. Middlesex County College will be informed electronically when you have successfully completed this requirement.
STEP 2: Sign Master Promissory Note
The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). The MPN is valid for up to 10 years. It must be completed in order for your Direct Loan funds to be disbursed to your student account. Middlesex County College will be informed electronically when you have successfully completed this requirement.
- Sign in “Manage my Direct Loan”
- Select “Complete Master Promissory Note”
It is only necessary to complete one MPN and one Entrance Counseling session even if you have been awarded both the subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loan. These requirements must be met in order for your Federal Direct Loan award(s) to be considered for billing purposes on your student account.
Returning Students (with Prior Direct Student Loans at MCC)
STEP 1: Access Campus Cruiser
- Log In using your Log In ID and Password
- Financial Aid Award Letter (Year 2014) and ‘Accept’ you financial aid awards
- ‘Request’ a Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan with the amount requested
STEP 2: Direct Loan Processing
- Financial Aid Officer will review your submitted Master Promissory Note on file with the Department of Education and determine if loan requested amount is accurate.
- Financial Aid Office will update your ‘Requested’ Direct Student Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized to an ‘Accepted’ status.
- You will receive an email confirmation that your web loan request has been processed by the Financial Aid Office.