HIS 121 Essay Assignment
The following books are on reserve in the Middlesex County College Library:
- Norman F. Cantor and Samuel Berner, eds. EARLY MODERN EUROPE, 1500-1815 (1970)
- Karl H. Dannenfeldt, ed. THE RENAISSANCE (1959)
- Donald Kagan, ed. THE END OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE 3rd edition (1992)
- Donald Kagan, ed. PROBLEMS IN ANCIENT HISTORY:VOLUME ONE THE ANCIENT NEAR EAST AND GREECE 2nd edition (1975)
- Donald Kagan, ed. PROBLEMS IN ANCIENT HISTORY:VOLUME TWO THE ROMAN WORLD 2nd edition (1975)
- Lewis W. Spitz, ed. THE REFORMATION (1962)
From one of these historical anthologies, choose one historical article relating to one of the following periods/issues:
- The origins of Judaism
- The characteristics of Greek civilization
- Roman civilization–Republic to Empire
- The development of Christianity
- The decline of Rome
- The origins and/or the characteristics of the Renaissance
- The causes, characteristics, and leaders of the Reformation
Your essay (5 pages, due on November 20) will examine the thesis of the article of your choice and also compare/contrast the interpretation of that article with the historical interpretation taken by the relevant portion of the textbook. PLEASE NOTE–Choose an article that is at least four pages in length. Do not choose an article written by a contemporary observer of or participant in the period of your interest. The article must be selected from the editions of the books mentioned above and placed on reserve in the library. Your choice of article must be approved by the instructor.
Each student must submit the title and author of the historical article of his/her choice and the title of the book containing it on September 11.
For more information on writing this essay, please read my essay-guidelines.